Click on the links below for more information on housing standards. (These links will take you out of our website.)
- Housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS)
This link explains the new risk-assessment procedure introduced by the Housing Act 2004 – the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS). HHSRS also replaces the fitness-standard part of the decent home standard.
- Housing adaptations for disabled people
This link explains the policy of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (now the Department for Communities and Local Government) on housing adaptations. It also provides information on:
- the disabled facilities grant and how to apply
- the test of resources for the grant
- the laws governing the grant and
- government funding allocations to local authorities.
- The impact of overcrowding on health and education
This link takes you to a review of the evidence and literature about overcrowding. It also includes the ‘Overcrowding in England’ papers which contain national, regional and area statistics about overcrowded housing.
- Energy efficiency and fuel poverty
The work done by landlords to meet the thermal comfort criteria improves the energy efficiency of the housing stock. This contributes towards wider government goals on climate change and ending fuel poverty.